HOME | ABOUT ME | WORD OF MAMA | FLICKR | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Sunday, November 29, 2009

REVIEW: Play Foam by Educational Insights


There are so many different toys on the market for kids right now like those Zu Zu pets or dolls that sneeze, but I like to make sure what Princess D plays with is not only fun but educational. ebeanstalk is a website dedicated to selecting good, safe toys for kids based on their age. They have asked moms like me to help pick the toys they sell. Recently they sent me Play Foam by Education Insights, one of their many learning toys. Here's what Princess D and I thought about it ...

Play Foam


Princess D was actually quite excited with the new toy, but she really couldn't figure out what to do with it. When we first took the blocks of colors out of their packaging they were solid like bricks. I had to pull them apart to get some air between the foam beads in order to be able to make anything. Once I had them pulled apart it was impossible to get them to mold tightly again. Princess D got a frustrated because everything she made fell apart or didn't hold their shape well.

foam bead blocks


Princess D could only make very simple shapes like cakes, snakes, snowmen, or a huge donut. She really struggled making complex structures ... and so did I! There isn't much more than molding you can do with the Play Foam, so Princess D got bored with it quickly. In the end she decided to just mix all of the foam beads together to make one big ball that she could just throw. The colors don't really "mix" they just stick together, so she didn't really get the sense of how to make green from blue and yellow or make purple from red and blue.

making a cake


The first word Princess D said when I gave her the Play Foam was "Sticky!" She is right too. Unlike the product claims those little foam beads kept sticking to her hands and clothes. I found some foam beads on my dinner plate because they probably stuck to my arm and then stuck to my plate. (NOTE TO SELF: Remember to make sure there aren't any stuck to her clothes before I stick them in the washer.) I also noticed that the white beads started to look a bit gray thanks to the dirt it picked up and there was hair stuck to them ... ew.

Honestly, I don't think I would purchase this toy. A child can develop the same dexterity skills with Play-Doh AND can have fun using cookie cutters or molds. The $16 retail value of the 5 color pack of Play Foam doesn't compare to a case of 10 Play-Doh packs for $12. So, if you are a mom on a budget like me you get more bang for your buck with Plah-Doh!
blog comments powered by Disqus